U8-12 Goalkeeper Game Day Warm Up:
**Goalkeepers should always start with a dynamic warm up. This can be on their own or with the team.
3 cones set approx. 1 yard apart and 2 balls.
Goalkeeper starts on one side of cones facing coach. Uses lateral footwork to move through cones and get set on opposite side to make a save. Repeat going the other direction. This is one rep, do 3-4 total of each skill below. Footwork patterns can include lateral high knees, 2 forward & 2 back, etc.
1. Shuffle behind cones and attack on each side for a 2 touch pass back with front foot
2. Volley at hands
3. Hard pass on the ground for forward smother
4. Bounced/skipped ball from hands for basket catch
5. Ball from hands tossed about knee to waist height for collapse dive
6. 2 Saves: first ball from coach's feet on ground for collapse dive, second ball from coach's hands bounced high as soon as goalkeeper throws first ball back for high contour save
End with some goal kicks (and punts if applicable for their age group) into the net if available or with a partner/coach before taking shots from the team. Make sure the goalkeeper makes a couple good saves and then steps out to get water and focus for the game. Do not over work the goalkeeper especially if they are the only goalkeeper in warm ups.