U13+ Goalkeeper Game Day Warm Up:
**Goalkeepers should start with a dynamic warm up. Use the width of the 18 yard box.
1. Jog down, backpedal back
2. Skip with arm swings across body down and back
3. High knees half way, butt kicks halfway down and back
4. Jog making forward circles with arms, backward circles with arms back
5. Stretch (hamstrings, quads, groins, calves, etc) using dynamic stretches
6. Shuffle facing the same direction both ways
7. Forward shuffle down, backward shuffle back
8. Icky shuffle facing the same direction both ways
9. High skips down, distance skips back
10. Sprint down and back
**Goalkeepers should use their overhand goalkeeper throw to throw back and forth for approx. 10-20 throws. Then progress to volleys back and forth for approx. 10-20 volleys (or when the goalkeeper feels like their hands are ready to begin).
Set up a cone goal 6-8 yards apart depending on age of goalkeeper. Coach stands approx. 10-15 yards out with 3 balls. Goalkeeper starts on post facing out. On coach's command goalkeeper uses appropriate footwork (dropstep, crossover, sprint) to get set in ball line and make a save. Repeat other direction. This is 1 rep. Do 4-5 reps of each skill.
1. 2 touch pass back
2. Volley/Half volley
3. Hard ground pass for forward smother
4. Collapse dive in same direction as they are moving
5. Collapse dive in same direction and then quickly recover to collapse dive for ball tossed in opposite direction
6. Change coach's position to a wide position outside the penalty box and serve in crosses. (Starting position, body shape and footwork of goalkeeper is important.)
7. Goalkeeper takes approx. 6-8 punts and 6-8 goal kicks into net or to partner/coach before getting in goal for shots from the team. Make sure the goalkeeper makes a few good saves and steps out to get water and focus for the game. Do not over work the goalkeeper especially if they are the only goalkeeper.